KILL THE MUSHRIQEEN (NON MUSLIMS) WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM(9:5)
The critics of Islam always quote the above verse from the Holy Quran to justify that Muslims want to kill all non-Muslims and assert that Islam promotes violence, bloodshed and brutality.
Recently a movie VISHWAROOPAM was released in three languages, which was prohibited from being screened in theatres in Tamil Nadu by the Tamil Nadu Government. The Ban on screening the movie in theatres in Tamil Nadu was proposed by some Muslim Political Groups because the verse “[KILL THE MUSHRIQEEN (NON MUSLIMS) WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM]” transcribed in Arabic from the Holy Quran was shown while one Muslim was slitting the throat of a non Muslim, justifying the brutal act by quoting from the Holy Quran that Islam recommends killing of all non-Muslims.
If the verse is present in the Holy Quran Chapter 9 Verse No. 5, why should Muslims take objection to the fact shown in the movie? Or why should Muslims take objection when non-Muslims quote this verse in their articles and books and why do Muslims want to curb the Right to Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression granted by the Constitution of India to the Indians?
Now let us analyze Chapter 9 of the Holy Quran from Verse No. 1 to 7.
Surah tauba chapter no 9 verse no 1 – 7.
1. Freedom from (all) obligations (is declared) from Allah and His Messenger (pubh) to those of the Mushrikun (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah), with whom you made a treaty.
2. So travel freely (O Mushrikun – see V.2:105) for four months (as you will) throughout the land, but know that you cannot escape (from the Punishment of) Allah, and Allah will disgrace the disbelievers.
3. And a declaration from Allah and His Messenger to mankind on the greatest day (the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah – the 12th month of Islamic calendar) that Allah is free from (all) obligations to the Mushrikun (see V.2:105) and so is His Messenger(pubh). So if you (Mushrikun) repent, it is better for you, but if you turn away, then know that you cannot escape (from the Punishment of) Allah. And give tidings (O Muhammad (pubh) of a painful torment to those who disbelieve.
4. Except those of the Mushrikun with whom you have a treaty, and who have not subsequently failed you in aught, nor have supported anyone against you. So fulfill their treaty to them to the end of their term. Surely Allah loves Al- Mattaqun (the pious – see V.2:2).
5. Then when the Sacred Months (the Ist, 7th, 11th, and 12th months of the Islamic calendar) have passed, then kill the Mushrikun (see V.2:105) wherever you find them, and capture them and besiege them, and prepare for them each and every ambush. But if they repent and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat, then leave their way free. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. And if anyone of the Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) seeks your protection then grant him protection, so that he may hear the Word of Allah (the Qur’an), and then escort him to where he can be secure, that is because they are men who know not.
7. How can there be a covenant with Allah and with His Messenger for the Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) except those with whom you made a covenant near Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah)? So long, as they are true to you, stand you true to them. Verily, Allah loves Al-Muttaqun (the pious – see V.2:2).
By simple reading of the above verses it can be understood that at that time in Mecca, there was a war going on which was stopped for a period of 4 months and a treaty was signed between the Muslims and the unbelievers and the treaty was broken by those unbelievers. If the war were to be resumed, then Muslims would fight back until victorious. And if the non-Muslims ask for asylum, then escort them to the place of safety. So this verse was revealed at that time when the war was going and the verse “KILL THE MUSHRIQEEN (NON MUSLIMS) WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM” was revealed in that context. So quoting any verse out of context by any non Muslim to portray that Islam is a barbaric religion would naturally hurt the sentiments of the Muslims living in India.
Now let us analyze whether the Muslims have curbed the right to Freedom of Expression of Kamal Haasan granted by the Constitution.
Right to Freedom is granted by the Constitution in Article 19 of the Constitution of India which says:
19. (1) All citizens shall have the right—
(a) to freedom of speech and expression;
(b) to assemble peaceably and without arms;
(c) to form associations or unions;
(d) to move freely throughout the territory of India;
(e) to reside and settle in any part of the territory
(g) to practice any profession, or to carry on any
occupation, trade or business.
[(2) Nothing in sub-clause (a) of clause (1) shall affect the operation of any existing law, or prevent the State from making any law, in so far as such law imposes reasonable restrictions on the exercise of the right conferred by the said sub-clause in the interests of [the sovereignty and integrity of India,] the security of the State, friendly relations with foreign States, public order, decency or morality, or in relation to contempt of court, defamation or incitement to an offence.]
When Article 19 (2) clearly says that nothing in sub-clause (a) of Clause (1) shall affect the operation of any existing law, or prevent the state from making any law, then the movie VISHWAROOPAM which has deliberately intended to portray terrorism to have been subliminally inspired by Islam and the Holy Quran, has violated by insulting the Religious feelings of the Muslims in terms of Section 295A of the IPC.
295A. Deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs.— Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of [citizens of India], [by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise], insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to [three years], or with fine, or with both.]
I have used the word SUBLIMINALLY, as the Koranic verse in Arabic language is prominently displayed in the back ground while the beheading takes place , as per people who have viewed VISHWAROOPAM. The viewers do get influenced and link the verse with what is shown in that frame- which in this case is the beheading! There was this study of subliminal influencing in Advertising, I’d like to excerpt a passage which is pertinent to my statement:-
In a Harvard study of 1999 where subjects playing a computer game were exposed to a series of words shown for a few thousandths of a second at a time.
Even though the words flashed by too quickly to be noticed, subjects’ brains still registered the effect.
People who were shown words such as “wise,” “astute” and “accomplished” walked from the study room significantly faster than those who saw the words “senile,” “dependent” and “diseased.”
What’s so scary about these subliminal messages, says Martin Lindstorm in his book BUYOLOGY, is that we can’t anticipate their effect. Say you’re driving down the highway and you see a billboard for Coca-Cola. It may set off a soft drink craving, but if you’re a smart consumer, you’ll know you’re being influenced by external forces and you can base your buying behavior on that knowledge.
Subliminal ads slip by our self-awareness undetected, so our decisions are less informed and our guards are often down. For this reason, subliminal advertising is more powerful than traditional advertising methods.
Below is a video of subliminal advertisement
Subliminal advertising portraying Muslim community in poor light will have a very high impact on the viewers, who without being self-aware, will develop hatred towards the whole Muslim community.
The blogger thanks movid.wordpress.com for taking time from his busy schedule to edit this post.